edm Marketing – or more properly electronic direct mail marketing – is experiencing a renaissance. Gone are the days of spammy, unrelatable messages that were tastelessly sent via the BCC field in Outlook.
To get results that surpass other channels such as social media and pay-per-click, your use of edm Marketing needs to be clever. Let’s look at what you need to do:
- Use an edm marketing platform such as Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign or Constant Contact. These platforms will help you ensure you’re compliant with various Spam Acts and GDPR. They’ll also open your eyes to a world of data and analytics that will have your sales team singing!
- Configure your DNS. Because it’s a bit techie, it often gets pushed to the side. It’s vital you take the time to configure your Domain name’s DNS to allow your edm marketing platform to send email on your behalf. If you don’t carry out these steps as part of the setup, you risk your emails being marked as ‘spoofing’, ‘phishing’ or ‘spam’. Speak with your web developer or tech support professional – they’ll be able to help you with this.
- Import and segment your list. Garbage in, garbage out – there’s no point just blasting thousands of contacts with the same, non-specific message. They’ll unsubscribe en masse and you’ll blow any opportunity to email those people again. Pause for a moment, think about your business, your contacts and how you can tag and segment them. Simple examples include segmenting by current and non-current customers. Consider other appropriate segmentation such as by interest, position in the customer journey, or by demographics such as age groups, sex, location etc.
- Create an email template. Hopefully you’ve got a branding guide to direct you and ensure that you template lives up to the rules of your brand. If not, this could be an opportunity to start that document. All the edm marketing providers have templates that you can use for inspiration. Drop in your logo, customise your colours and you’ll be ready to go.
- Craft your message. “Be the magazine – not the ad!”. No body wants ads in their inbox! Your message needs to jump out from the screen and grab your segments attention. It needs to solve their problem, or at least show them how they can solve it. Sure, you need a call-to-action in your email sometimes – but don’t over sell!
- Review your results. Pressing send on an edm marketing campaign is just the begging – not the end. Review the results. Call, follow-up and have a coffee with those who’ve clicked on links in your email. If an email’s bounced, do what you can to re-connect with that person and update their contact details. If someone’s unsubscribed, don’t take it personally, but look for any trends that might give hints as to how you can improve your edm marketing to reduce unsubscribes.
Our hope is that these 6 simple steps will get you on the way with your edm marketing. If you have any questions or get stuck along the way, don’t hesitate to give the team at Pepper a shout – we’d love to help you!
Let our team become your edm Marketing gurus. With some 90+ years combined marketing expeience, leverage our expertise to drive your marketing towards measureable results.
73% of millennials prefer communications from businesses to come via email
Beyond pretty pictures, followers and likes, we’re committed to achieving measurable results – whatever your marketing goals. Great ideas, executed well, means little without results.
We work as an extension of your team and systems. We attend meetings, produce reports and work shoulder to shoulder to achieve the results with your trusted team.
Data speaks volumes. We help you to collect, interpret and report results. Whether those reports are for your Board, Management Committee or other stakeholders, we’ll help you report.
Beyond edm Marketing
Planning and executing a successful strategy is half the battle. We utilise industry leading methods to maximise the reach of your campaigns across all mediums and channels.
Website Design & Development
Looking for industry leading web design and development? We plan, design and develop conversion optimised websites, be they eCommerce or for service based professions.
Social media is essential for building a tribe of supporters and to demonstrate your Company’s values. Ensure you have a strategy that’s easy to execute and simple to report on.
Search engine optimisation needn’t be confusing jargon. Simply, tell Google as clearly as possible what your content is about and reap the rewards of ranking organically in Google and other search engines.