It’s become very clear by now that Facebook is all about fostering connection. Whether you’re a business that is trying to build and maintain a community of followers. Or an individual using social media to stay connected to friends and family, the ability to tag someone in a Facebook post, photo, or status is a critical aspect of its overall function. Below we are going to outline the different ways to tag someone in Facebook.
How to Tag Someone in Facebook – Tagging someone in a status
When creating a status update, you have the option to tag a friend or business in your status. This notifies the person that you have mentioned them in an update that is relative to them.
To tag someone in a Facebook status, follow these steps:
- On the top of your homepage, start writing your caption in the box that says “What’s on your mind?”
- To tag someone in a caption, type the @ symbol followed by the person or account’s name
- When the correct name shows up in the dropdown menu below, click the name
- When you are finished with the status, click “post” and the account you have tagged will be notified
Tagging someone in a photo
When you upload a photo that includes people other than yourself, you’ll want to tag these people in the image. This notifies the person that you have posted a photo of them. This then adds this image to their “Photos of You” section on their Facebook page. This function is particularly important for businesses and companies who re-posting images from other accounts. Tagging the original user in the image ensures that you are giving them credit for their photo.
To tag someone in a photo on Facebook, follow these steps:
- Click on the photo you would like to tag
- On the right side of the image, underneath the caption, click the “tag photo” option
- Click the area on the image that you would like to tag, and begin typing the name of the person or business
- Once the appropriate name pops up, click on the name, and then click “done tagging” on the right hand side under the caption
Tagging someone in a post from another account
Tagging a person or account in a post on Facebook is a way to bring content to their attention that they otherwise may not have seen. For example, if you are an individual using Facebook and come across a post from a business account about a sale they are running, you might want to tag a friend in this post to notify them of this sale.
To tag someone in a post on Facebook, follow these steps:
- Click on the post you would like to comment on
- On the right side of the image, navigate down to the text bubble that says “Comment as,” and type the @ symbol followed by the person or account’s name
- The correct name will show up in the dropdown menu below, click the name
- When you are finished with the post, click “post” and the account you have tagged will be notified
Follow these steps on how to tag someone in Facebook and you will be able to grow and stay connected with your community.
Need help to change your Facebook page name? Our step by step guide will help you. Read more here.